Skip to main content

Memorex OptiFix actually fixed a DVD

I don't remember exactly when I found the Memorex OptiFix Pro CD/DVD repair kit, but I recall that I was browsing through the electronics at a thrift store where I almost never find useful electronics. At first I thought it was just a DVD player in a box, but when I pulled it out I was surprised to see that it was a DVD/CD repair device. Most simple electronics tend to be less than $10 at thrift stores, but this one was priced at $14.99 plus taxes. I thought it was probably a waste of money, but I hadn't seen one in stores before so I picked it up.


Over the past several months I've tried to repair approximately 6 discs in the unit, and only yesterday did I manage to "fix" a disc. I use the word fix lightly because the OptiFix didn't remove the scratches on the disc, but it did get the disc to the point that the Blu-ray drive in my computer was able to read the 3 titles on the DVD. Prior to the repair the disc was damaged to the point where the drive couldn't back up any of the titles on the disc, it simply spat out an error (MakeMKV).


I put the disc through two cycles of fix and clean before trying it in the Blu-ray drive. After each fix and clean I lightly wiped the disc with a microfibre cloth. As is evident from the image above the scratches were still pretty visible. Given my experience with past discs that had a lot fewer scratches I wasn't expecting the disc to work, but it did.

Normally I'm pretty careful checking DVDs when I go thrifting, but I overlooked this one disc, and luckily the OptiFix was able to fix it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LibreOffice to the rescue (where Microsoft Word fails)

 This morning I fielded an interesting call from staff trying to help someone who dropped in to our centre. The person had forwarded an Apple .pages document to our front desk staff, but they couldn't open the document with Microsoft Word. The person didn't have access to whatever created the .pages document, so they couldn't open it and File > Save As to convert it to a different format. I figured (correctly as it turns out) that LibreOffice might be able to open the .pages document. Sure enough it did, and the staff were able to edit and print the document from LibreOffice, and ultimately save it as a Word document. Oh the irony.

Frustrating printer bug in the latest Xubuntu 20.04

There is a maddening bug that seems to have crept into Xubuntu 20.04. I've now tested and found this issue on every computer I've installed Xubuntu 20.04 on. The problem occurs when you try changing the printer driver for an existing printer. Printers > Right Click on the Printer > Properties > Beside Make and Model click Change At this point the printer user interface freezes up and just sits there infinitely. The printer you're choosing doesn't matter. I've had the same experience with a variety of printers, on a variety of different machines. system-config-printer frozen The program responsible for this printer dialog on Xubuntu is called system-config-printer. I filed a bug report several days ago, but it's currently sitting at the bottom of the pile of 75 or so bugs for this program dating back several years. I seem to remember this wasn't an issue on Xubuntu 18.04, but I'm going to install 18.04 to check and see if the issue also crept int...

VLC displays black screen when playing DVD video under Xubuntu 20.04

This afternoon we were refurbishing an older AMD Phenom II X6-based computer and we ran into an issue that when we put a DVD into the drive VLC would open up and start to play, but we only saw black in the VLC window. The video was definitely playing, but VLC wasn't displaying anything. Video is visible if you disable Hardware Accelerated Decoding in VLC: VLC > Tools > Preferences > Input & Codecs Settings Hardware-accelerated decoding > Disable  We're not sure if this is an issue strictly related to a bug in VLC since when we opened the video with Parole Media player it played just fine (no adjustments needed). In our case this happened with a Radeon 7950HD Twin Frozr 3GB/OC video card. If you have one of these cards, are running some flavour of Ubuntu, and experience this or a similar issue please leave a comment below. We also tested Xonotic using Phoronix Test Suite and it seemed to run pretty quickly. For the curious, the system has the following physical s...